Monday, November 18, 2013

So How Important is Sleep Really?

During the college years, students are known for their lack of sleep. They think that because they are awake more, they can get more done. So how important is sleep? Sleep is very important, not only for the physical benefits, but also for the mental and emotional benefits. Sleep actually helps you remember things better. Sleep has been shown to improve grades, as well as, creativity. There are many other benefits of sleep, too, like a better attention span, less stress, and less depression. It is clear that by missing out on some extra hours of sleep, students are actually hurting themselves in more ways than one. We all need to be sure that we are getting the sleep we need to keep our whole selves healthy.

5 comments:

  1. What is the average number of hours a college student should get every night? I know for myself, I strive for at least 5-6 hours of sleep every night. I once was a believer of "catching up" on sleep over the weekend. But I have come to the realization that you can never "catch up" on sleep. I noticed since I've been getting at least 5 hours of sleep every night, I've been feeling lovely through out my day. I agree, sleep is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are nights where I don't quite get the amount of sleep needed for a college student. There are nights where I am up late doing homework or studying and only get about four hours of sleep. I know it's said that students should get about seven to eight hours of sleep per night in order to be fully functional the next day. I also agree with Dahne, it is hard to catch up on sleep because when I actually catch up on my sleep I sleep for about twelve hours. When I sleep this long, I oversleep which makes you just as tired as a few hours of sleep. I have been trying to get the seven to eight as much as I can though because when I do I notice an increase in the quality of the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it is easy to get caught up in our busy schedules and stressful lives but we need to set aside time to relax, have fun and sleep! Sleeping is key to retaining information. Yes, you need to study but you also need to have enough sleep so that you can concentrate and learn. Other things the can effect learning, are nutrition. You want to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition and eating healthy. Exercise is also important to a healthy lifestyle. Exercise can also help you learn better. Students need to have a balanced lifestyle including getting enough sleep, exerciser, and a proper diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing that I have Insomnia, I could go on and on about how nice it would be to get better sleep. Having a rough schedule already and usually running off of no sleep, I understand the negative effects. The ironic thing is though, because I usually run off of no sleep, I am super groggy when I get my 8 hours. I usually run best off of 5-6 hours. This is the worst when I am sick because I tend to "catch up on my sleep" but really it just makes me more tired and lazy. One bonus I have found to this is that I can go exercise if I can't sleep and that usually does the trick for me. My Dr. has talked to me about getting a normal routine down. He said that a balanced routine will help with a better sleep schedule. I have been working on eating better, trying to go to bed at the same time and even trying to do my exercise in the morning so by the end of day I will want to sleep early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your very right that college students get very little sleep. I know that for myself I have lifitng at 6 in the morning with my team. This does not allow me to sleep in very late and then have to stay up all day. It's hard to get enough sleep every night, but it's very important that we do. I try to get at least 6 hours of sleep a night or I know I will slow and tired the next day.

    ReplyDelete