Saturday, November 16, 2013

High Impact Exercise vs. Low Impact Exercise

Exercise can be categorized as high impact or low impact. High impact exercises tend to take a toll on your joints, but help your bone density. These are activities like running, jumping, and sports like soccer, hockey, or volleyball. Low impact exercises are easier on your joints, but need to be done more intensely to get your heart rate in the same place. Walking or cycling are both low impact. The choice between the two really depends on the person. I enjoy high impact exercises more, but they really hurt my knees. Sometimes I will just do both. Do you do more high or low impact exercises? Why?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy high impact exercises more than low impact exercise most of the time, but there are a few exceptions. I like to play sports such as soccer, volleyball, and basketball which as high impact, but I also enjoy playing golf. I prefer to run, however, this hurts my knees and hip so I can’t right now, so I do the elliptical and Stairmaster. I also like to bike but I prefer to do this outside in a more hilly terrain to make it more intense. Lifting weights is another great way to help bone density. This is especially important for women because they are more susceptible to Osteoporosis. It is important to find what exercises you enjoy doing, but don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try something new like an aerobics class, zumba, or yoga! It is good to switch up your work outs and not do the same thing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I enjoy high impact exercise better. I love to play sports. Most sports are high impact because you are running and pounding on your feet. My favorite high impact exercises are running, playing soccer, hockey and volleyball. I should probably do more low impact exercises so my knees can take a break once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete