Thursday, November 14, 2013
Turkey: White Meat or Dark?
As all of us are aware, Thanksgiving is coming quickly! This means delicious food, especially turkey. At Thanksgiving dinner, the question "Dark meat or white," always crosses the table. So which one is better for you? While both white meat and dark meat are terrific sources of protein, white meat has fewer calories than dark meat. On the other hand, dark meat is a better source of iron. To answer the question, it really all depends on whether you need fewer calories or more iron. It may be a good idea to have a small piece of both! Which will you eat at Thanksgiving?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The holidays are fast approaching, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. These are times when many people indulge in savory foods and sweet treats, but at what expense? During the holidays it is common for people to gain weight. A few reasons are the foods they eat and lack of exercise for reasons such as being busy, and the colder weather makes them less active. Then when New Year’s rolls around everyone sets a New Year’s resolution to diet exercise and lose weight; unfortunately this never lasts. So this year here are some tips to avoid gaining those unwanted pounds. First, eat white lean cuts of meat such as turkey, chicken or fish. Also, buy organic meets such as cage free chicken and grass fed beef. Next, for side dishes make steamed veggies, and instead of white potatoes use sweet potatoes. These are just a few helpful hints of how to eat healthy but delicious foods this holiday season.
ReplyDeleteI actually have never tried dark meat. My family always eats white meat and so that is what I eat. I think I will try it to get my own opinion on it. I think that my family eats light meat because it is healthy, but do not know that dark meat can be healthy too.
ReplyDeleteI always believe that dark meat is always better! I definitely ate my fair share of both dark meat and white meat on thanksgiving! Unfortunately buying an organic turkey was not in my budget. We definitely tried to have a well rounded dinner. I really hope your thanksgiving was amazing!!
ReplyDelete